Who We Are
That's Pete Gallant above on the mandolin. He's one of the finest mandolinists this region has seen. Pete does it all and with gusto, researching songs, singing leads and harmonies and keeping the music real. If you want to know anything about bluegrass, just ask Pete.
Our official name is A Bluegrass Invitation Band and like our name we have expanded and moved in new directions over the years since being established in the spring of 2006.
Today we have a unique style consisting of classic Bill Monroe-style bluegrass mixed with more complex and current acoustic music such as is heard in the music of the Avett Brothers and Michael Cleveland. Our musical arrangements have developed a greater depth to go along with expanded vocal harmonies.
Since the spring of 2006, we have played at many different types of public venues throughout Southern New England. Here are some you might recognize: the Cantab Lounge in Cambridge Ma, The Joe Val Bluegrass Festival in Framingham Ma, The Cambridge Boat House at the Head of the Charles River, Westport Rivers Music Series, the Onset MA Summer Music Series, Common Fence Point (Portsmouth RI) Fiddlers and Fishermen Festival, Bluegrass on The Bogs, The Barrington RI Fiddle N' Folk Festival, Sweet Berry Farm, Middletown RI, Mount Hope (Bristol RI) and Young Family Farms (Little Compton RI annual music festivals , Children's Advocacy Center's Kentucky Derby Celebration (North Dartmouth MA)
We have entertained at many unique private gatherings including a golf course at The Bay Club of Mattgapoisett MA, a horse paddock at The Carnegie Club of Portsmouth RI, and weddings held at the Boston Science Museum and the Salem Peabody Museum. Other unique wedding settings include a dog park in Amherst MA, and a summer camp near Plymouth MA where the bride and her father arrived by canoe.
We have performed at more conventional wedding receptions in Newport, Little Compton, Jamestown and North Kingstown Rhode Island; as well as Rockport, New Bedford, Westport, North Hampton, Salem, Boston and Pocasset in Massachusetts; Stonington and Westport in Connecticut. We have even travelled as far west as New York for a house party on the Hudson River.
Finally, we have recorded original music for the benefit of the Children's Advocacy Center of Bristol County (MA). That CD is entitled Hope In Our Hands.
- Charlie Santos (Tiverton, RI) has played guitar, bass, harmonica and banjo with the Frenchtown Barn Dance Band, out of North Kingstown Rhode Island before forming Bluegrass Invitation in the Spring of 2006.
- Pete Gallant (New Bedford, MA) plays mandolin, guitar, bouzouki and fiddle and sings tenor lead vocals in that high and lonesome style associated with bluegrass. Pete has been featured in several successful bluegrass bands, most currently Empty Pockets.
- Joel Greene (Bristol, RI) brings his multiple talents including vocal leads and harmonies to A Bluegrass Invitation Band. Joel has just completed his second CD with the group Dark and Stormy and brings us an impressive performance background with all manners of acoustic instruments including violin, viola, guitar, mandolin and bass, just to name a few.
At this time we are booking parties for the upcoming season throughout Southeastern New England. If interested please book us soon as performance dates tend to disappear as our calendar gets filled.
- To paraphrase a movie star:: "We're not cheap but we can be had!"......... Michael Douglas in Romancing The Stone
We get emails from all over the world from people looking for more information about us and bluegrass music in general. Why not send us your email and let us get to know you? You are invited to write us using the link at bottom of this page.
- We promise to get back to you! (To contact Charlie by phone call 508 942 4785 (Cell) 401 624 9517 (Home) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Get on our mailing list!